Thursday, November 26, 2009

November 25 service

If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away.

Bruce quoted this song at the beginning of the service.  Line 3 is what my student workers would call "an epic fail".  The stars don't influence luck.  Their role is to proclaim the glory of God!  A better choice for song lyrics that carry the thought would have been to use "A Mighty Fortress".

"The Word they still shall let remain nor any thanks have for it;
He’s by our side upon the plain with His good gifts and Spirit.
And take they our life, goods, fame, child and wife,
Let these all be gone, they yet have nothing won;
The Kingdom ours remaineth."

No comments:

Post a Comment